Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: PORTE
- (n.) The Ottoman court; the government of the Turkish empire, officially called the Sublime Porte, from the gate (port) of the sultan's palace at which justice was administered.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) Gentle heat; moderate warmth; tepidness.
- (n.) One who topes, or drinks frequently or to excess; a drunkard; a sot.
- (n.) The use of a word or expression in a different sense from that which properly belongs to it; the use of a word or expression as changed from the original signification to another, for the sake of giving life or emphasis to an idea; a figure of speech.
- (n.) The word or expression so used.