Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: PUFF
- (a.) Puffed up; vain.
- (n.) A sudden and single emission of breath from the mouth; hence, any sudden or short blast of wind; a slight gust; a whiff.
- (n.) Anything light and filled with air.
- (n.) A puffball.
- (n.) a kind of light pastry.
- (n.) A utensil of the toilet for dusting the skin or hair with powder.
- (n.) An exaggerated or empty expression of praise, especially one in a public journal.
- (n.) To blow in puffs, or with short and sudden whiffs.
- (n.) To blow, as an expression of scorn; -- with at.
- (n.) To breathe quick and hard, or with puffs, as after violent exertion.
- (n.) To swell with air; to be dilated or inflated.
- (n.) To breathe in a swelling, inflated, or pompous manner; hence, to assume importance.
- (v. t.) To drive with a puff, or with puffs.
- (v. t.) To repel with words; to blow at contemptuously.
- (v. t.) To cause to swell or dilate; to inflate; to ruffle with puffs; -- often with up; as, a bladder puffed with air.
- (v. t.) To inflate with pride, flattery, self-esteem, or the like; -- often with up.
- (v. t.) To praise with exaggeration; to flatter; to call public attention to by praises; to praise unduly.