- (a.) Next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life.
- (a.) Hinder; nearer the rear.
- (a.) To ward the stern of the ship; -- applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway.
- (prep.) Behind in place; as, men in line one after another.
- (prep.) Below in rank; next to in order.
- (prep.) Later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. It often precedes a clause. Formerly that was interposed between it and the clause.
- (prep.) Subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, I shall be careful.
- (prep.) Subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course.
- (prep.) Moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
- (prep.) Denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness.
- (prep.) In imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after Rubens; the boy takes after his father.
- (prep.) According to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind.
- (prep.) According to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
- (adv.) Subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: RAFTE
- Imp. of Reave.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (pl.) of Fretum