- (n.) A turn. [Only in phrase.]
- (n.) A deep, broad-mouthed vessel of earthenware or glass, for holding fruit, preserves, etc., or for ornamental purposes; as, a jar of honey; a rose jar.
- (n.) The measure of what is contained in a jar; as, a jar of oil; a jar of preserves.
- (v. i.) To give forth a rudely quivering or tremulous sound; to sound harshly or discordantly; as, the notes jarred on my ears.
- (v. i.) To act in opposition or disagreement; to clash; to interfere; to quarrel; to dispute.
- (v. t.) To cause a short, tremulous motion of, to cause to tremble, as by a sudden shock or blow; to shake; to shock; as, to jar the earth; to jar one's faith.
- (v. t.) To tick; to beat; to mark or tell off.
- (n.) A rattling, tremulous vibration or shock; a shake; a harsh sound; a discord; as, the jar of a train; the jar of harsh sounds.
- (n.) Clash of interest or opinions; collision; discord; debate; slight disagreement.
- (n.) A regular vibration, as of a pendulum.
- (n.) In deep well boring, a device resembling two long chain links, for connecting a percussion drill to the rod or rope which works it, so that the drill is driven down by impact and is jerked loose when jammed.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: RAJ
- (n.) Reign; rule.