- (n.) A mark [^] used by writers and proof readers to indicate that something is interlined above, or inserted in the margin, which belongs in the place marked by the caret.
- (n.) The hawkbill turtle. See Hawkbill.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: REACT
- (v. i.) To return an impulse or impression; to resist the action of another body by an opposite force; as, every body reacts on the body that impels it from its natural state.
- (v. i.) To act upon each other; to exercise a reciprocal or a reverse effect, as two or more chemical agents; to act in opposition.
- (v. t.) To act or perform a second time; to do over again; as, to react a play; the same scenes were reacted at Rome.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) Bill of fare.
- (n.) Short for Carte de visite.
- (n.) Alt. of Quarte
- (n.) A provider; a purveyor; a caterer.
- (n.) To provide food; to buy, procure, or prepare provisions.
- (n.) By extension: To supply what is needed or desired, at theatrical or musical entertainments; -- followed by for or to.
- (n.) The four of cards or dice.
- (v. t.) To cut diagonally.
- (n.) A large basket or hamper of wickerwork, used for the transportation of china, crockery, and similar wares.
- (n.) A box or case whose sides are of wooden slats with interspaces, -- used especially for transporting fruit.
- (v. t.) To pack in a crate or case for transportation; as, to crate a sewing machine; to crate peaches.
- (n.) An usher to a riding master.
- (n.) One of two straps, chains, or ropes of a harness, extending from the collar or breastplate to a whiffletree attached to a vehicle or thing to be drawn; a tug.
- (v. t.) A mark left by anything passing; a track; a path; a course; a footprint; a vestige; as, the trace of a carriage or sled; the trace of a deer; a sinuous trace.
- (v. t.) A very small quantity of an element or compound in a given substance, especially when so small that the amount is not quantitatively determined in an analysis; -- hence, in stating an analysis, often contracted to tr.
- (v. t.) A mark, impression, or visible appearance of anything left when the thing itself no longer exists; remains; token; vestige.
- (v. t.) The intersection of a plane of projection, or an original plane, with a coordinate plane.
- (v. t.) The ground plan of a work or works.
- (v. t.) To mark out; to draw or delineate with marks; especially, to copy, as a drawing or engraving, by following the lines and marking them on a sheet superimposed, through which they appear; as, to trace a figure or an outline; a traced drawing.
- (v. t.) To follow by some mark that has been left by a person or thing which has preceded; to follow by footsteps, tracks, or tokens.
- (v. t.) Hence, to follow the trace or track of.
- (v. t.) To copy; to imitate.
- (v. t.) To walk over; to pass through; to traverse.
- (v. i.) To walk; to go; to travel.