- (n.) Scarcity which renders dear; want; lack; specifically, lack of food on account of failure of crops; famine.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) Strong aversion; intense dislike; hate; an affection of the mind awakened by something regarded as evil.
- (n.) A very small twist of flax, wool, cotton, silk, or other fibrous substance, drawn out to considerable length; a compound cord consisting of two or more single yarns doubled, or joined together, and twisted.
- (n.) A filament, as of a flower, or of any fibrous substance, as of bark; also, a line of gold or silver.
- (n.) The prominent part of the spiral of a screw or nut; the rib. See Screw, n., 1.
- (n.) Fig.: Something continued in a long course or tenor; a,s the thread of life, or of a discourse.
- (n.) Fig.: Composition; quality; fineness.
- (v. t.) To pass a thread through the eye of; as, to thread a needle.
- (v. t.) To pass or pierce through as a narrow way; also, to effect or make, as one's way, through or between obstacles; to thrid.
- (v. t.) To form a thread, or spiral rib, on or in; as, to thread a screw or nut.