- (a.) Consisting of, or resembling, earth; terrene; earthlike; as, earthy matter.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the earth or to, this world; earthly; terrestrial; carnal.
- (a.) Gross; low; unrefined.
- (a.) Without luster, or dull and roughish to the touch; as, an earthy fracture.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (superl.) Pertaining to, or proceeding from, the heart; warm; cordial; bold; zealous; sincere; willing; also, energetic; active; eager; as, a hearty welcome; hearty in supporting the government.
- (superl.) Exhibiting strength; sound; healthy; firm; not weak; as, a hearty timber.
- (superl.) Promoting strength; nourishing; rich; abundant; as, hearty food; a hearty meal.
- (n.) Comrade; boon companion; good fellow; -- a term of familiar address and fellowship among sailors.
- (n.) The earth.