- (n.) An ethereal salt, or compound ether, consisting of an organic radical united with the residue of any oxygen acid, organic or inorganic; thus the natural fats are esters of glycerin and the fatty acids, oleic, etc.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: REEST
- To dry or cure with smoke
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The inward part of a building; the interior.
- (v. t.) To set again; as, to reset type; to reset copy; to reset a diamond.
- (n.) The act of resetting.
- (n.) That which is reset; matter set up again.
- (n.) The receiving of stolen goods, or harboring an outlaw.
- (v. t.) To harbor or secrete; to hide, as stolen goods or a criminal.
- (a.) A young male of the ox kind; especially, a common ox; a castrated taurine male from two to four years old. See the Note under Ox.
- (v. t.) To castrate; -- said of male calves.
- (n.) To direct the course of; to guide; to govern; -- applied especially to a vessel in the water.
- (v. i.) To direct a vessel in its course; to direct one's course.
- (v. i.) To be directed and governed; to take a direction, or course; to obey the helm; as, the boat steers easily.
- (v. i.) To conduct one's self; to take or pursue a course of action.
- (v. t.) A rudder or helm.
- (n.) A helmsman, a pilot.
- (n.) A unit of cubic measure in the metric system, being a cubic meter, or kiloliter, and equal to 35.3 cubic feet, or nearly 1/ cubic yards.
- (v. t. & i.) To stir.
- (n.) A rudder. See 5th Steer.
- (n.) Helmsman. See 6th Steer.
- (n.) Straw.
- (superl.) Appearing as if rubbed or wiped off; rubbed; smooth; polished.
- (superl.) Refined; accomplished; -- said of persons.
- (superl.) Elegantly concise; free of superfluous words; polished to smoothness; as, terse language; a terse style.
- Stretch (a shoe) on a shoetree
- Chase an animal up a tree; "the hunters treed the bear with dogs and killed it"; "her dog likes to tree squirrels"
- Plant with trees; "this lot should be treed so that the house will be shaded in summer"
- Force a person or an animal into a position from which he cannot escape