- (a. & adv.) Alt. of Ferrer
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: REFER
- (v. i.) To have recourse; to apply; to appeal; to betake one's self; as, to refer to a dictionary.
- (v. i.) To have relation or reference; to relate; to point; as, the figure refers to a footnote.
- (v. i.) To carry the mind or thought; to direct attention; as, the preacher referred to the late election.
- (v. i.) To direct inquiry for information or a guarantee of any kind, as in respect to one's integrity, capacity, pecuniary ability, and the like; as, I referred to his employer for the truth of his story.
- (v. t.) To carry or send back.
- (v. t.) Hence: To send or direct away; to send or direct elsewhere, as for treatment, aid, information, decision, etc.; to make over, or pass over, to another; as, to refer a student to an author; to refer a beggar to an officer; to refer a bill to a committee; a court refers a matter of fact to a commissioner for investigation, or refers a question of law to a superior tribunal.
- (v. t.) To place in or under by a mental or rational process; to assign to, as a class, a cause, source, a motive, reason, or ground of explanation; as, he referred the phenomena to electrical disturbances.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) One who frees, or sets free.
- (n.) A friar.