- (n.) The act of differing; the state or measure of being different or unlike; distinction; dissimilarity; unlikeness; variation; as, a difference of quality in paper; a difference in degrees of heat, or of light; what is the difference between the innocent and the guilty?
- (n.) Disagreement in opinion; dissension; controversy; quarrel; hence, cause of dissension; matter in controversy.
- (n.) That by which one thing differs from another; that which distinguishes or causes to differ; mark of distinction; characteristic quality; specific attribute.
- (n.) Choice; preference.
- (n.) An addition to a coat of arms to distinguish the bearings of two persons, which would otherwise be the same. See Augmentation, and Marks of cadency, under Cadency.
- (n.) The quality or attribute which is added to those of the genus to constitute a species; a differentia.
- (n.) The quantity by which one quantity differs from another, or the remainder left after subtracting the one from the other.
- (v. t.) To cause to differ; to make different; to mark as different; to distinguish.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.