- (n.) See Corf.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To overspread the surface of (one thing) with another; as, to cover wood with paint or lacquer; to cover a table with a cloth.
- (v. t.) To envelop; to clothe, as with a mantle or cloak.
- (v. t.) To invest (one's self with something); to bring upon (one's self); as, he covered himself with glory.
- (v. t.) To hide sight; to conceal; to cloak; as, the enemy were covered from our sight by the woods.
- (v. t.) To brood or sit on; to incubate.
- (v. t.) To shelter, as from evil or danger; to protect; to defend; as, the cavalry covered the retreat.
- (v. t.) To remove from remembrance; to put away; to remit.
- (v. t.) To extend over; to be sufficient for; to comprehend, include, or embrace; to account for or solve; to counterbalance; as, a mortgage which fully covers a sum loaned on it; a law which covers all possible cases of a crime; receipts than do not cover expenses.
- (v. t.) To put the usual covering or headdress on.
- (v. t.) To copulate with (a female); to serve; as, a horse covers a mare; -- said of the male.
- (n.) Anything which is laid, set, or spread, upon, about, or over, another thing; an envelope; a lid; as, the cover of a book.
- (n.) Anything which veils or conceals; a screen; disguise; a cloak.
- (n.) Shelter; protection; as, the troops fought under cover of the batteries; the woods afforded a good cover.
- (n.) The woods, underbrush, etc., which shelter and conceal game; covert; as, to beat a cover; to ride to cover.
- (n.) The lap of a slide valve.
- (n.) A tablecloth, and the other table furniture; esp., the table furniture for the use of one person at a meal; as, covers were laid for fifty guests.
- (v. i.) To spread a table for a meal; to prepare a banquet.