- (n. pl.) The kidneys; also, the region of the kidneys; the loins.
- (n. pl.) The inward impulses; the affections and passions; -- so called because formerly supposed to have their seat in the part of the body where the kidneys are.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: RESIN
- (n.) Any one of a class of yellowish brown solid inflammable substances, of vegetable origin, which are nonconductors of electricity, have a vitreous fracture, and are soluble in ether, alcohol, and essential oils, but not in water; specif., pine resin (see Rosin).
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To wash lightly; to cleanse with a second or repeated application of water after washing.
- (v. t.) To cleancse by the introduction of water; -- applied especially to hollow vessels; as, to rinse a bottle.
- (n.) The act of rinsing.
- (p. p.) of Rise
- P. p. & a. from Rise.
- (p. p. & a.) Obs. imp. pl. of Rise.
- (n.) A European finch (Serinus hortulanus) closely related to the canary.
- (n.) One of three sea nymphs, -- or, according to some writers, of two, -- said to frequent an island near the coast of Italy, and to sing with such sweetness that they lured mariners to destruction.
- (n.) An enticing, dangerous woman.
- (n.) Something which is insidious or deceptive.
- (n.) A mermaid.
- (n.) Any long, slender amphibian of the genus Siren or family Sirenidae, destitute of hind legs and pelvis, and having permanent external gills as well as lungs. They inhabit the swamps, lagoons, and ditches of the Southern United States. The more common species (Siren lacertina) is dull lead-gray in color, and becames two feet long.
- (n.) An instrument for producing musical tones and for ascertaining the number of sound waves or vibrations per second which produce a note of a given pitch. The sounds are produced by a perforated rotating disk or disks. A form with two disks operated by steam or highly compressed air is used sounding an alarm to vessels in fog.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a siren; bewitching, like a siren; fascinating; alluring; as, a siren song.