Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: RETSINA
- Greek wine flavored with resin
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Disgustingly dirty; filled or smeared with offensive matter;
- Characterized by obscenity;
- Exasperatingly difficult to handle or circumvent;
- Offensive or even (of persons) malicious;
- (a.) Resident; present in a place.
- (n.) A resident.
- Allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature; "We cannot continue several servants any longer"; "She retains a lawyer"; "The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"; "Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"; "We kept the work going as long as we could"; "She retained her composure"; "this garment retains its shape even after many washings"
- Hold back within; "This soil retains water"; "I retain this drug for a long time"; "the dam retains the water"
- Keep in one's mind; "I cannot retain so much information"
- Secure and keep for possible future use or application; "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
- (n.) One who stains or tarnishes.
- (n.) A workman who stains; as, a stainer of wood.
- (n.) One of the constituents of animal fats and also of some vegetable fats, as the butter of cacao. It is especially characterized by its solidity, so that when present in considerable quantity it materially increases the hardness, or raises the melting point, of the fat, as in mutton tallow. Chemically, it is a compound of glyceryl with three molecules of stearic acid, and hence is technically called tristearin, or glyceryl tristearate.