- (n.) The evolution of light and heat in the combustion of bodies; combustion; state of ignition.
- (n.) Fuel in a state of combustion, as on a hearth, or in a stove or a furnace.
- (n.) The burning of a house or town; a conflagration.
- (n.) Anything which destroys or affects like fire.
- (n.) Ardor of passion, whether love or hate; excessive warmth; consuming violence of temper.
- (n.) Liveliness of imagination or fancy; intellectual and moral enthusiasm; capacity for ardor and zeal.
- (n.) Splendor; brilliancy; luster; hence, a star.
- (n.) Torture by burning; severe trial or affliction.
- (n.) The discharge of firearms; firing; as, the troops were exposed to a heavy fire.
- (v. t.) To set on fire; to kindle; as, to fire a house or chimney; to fire a pile.
- (v. t.) To subject to intense heat; to bake; to burn in a kiln; as, to fire pottery.
- (v. t.) To inflame; to irritate, as the passions; as, to fire the soul with anger, pride, or revenge.
- (v. t.) To animate; to give life or spirit to; as, to fire the genius of a young man.
- (v. t.) To feed or serve the fire of; as, to fire a boiler.
- (v. t.) To light up as if by fire; to illuminate.
- (v. t.) To cause to explode; as, to fire a torpedo; to disharge; as, to fire a musket or cannon; to fire cannon balls, rockets, etc.
- (v. t.) To drive by fire.
- (v. t.) To cauterize.
- (v. i.) To take fire; to be kindled; to kindle.
- (v. i.) To be irritated or inflamed with passion.
- (v. i.) To discharge artillery or firearms; as, they fired on the town.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: RIFE
- (a.) Prevailing; prevalent; abounding.
- (a.) Having power; active; nimble.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) Robbery; spoil.
- (n.) Robbery.