- (n.) A band or strap which encircles the body; especially, one by which a saddle is fastened upon the back of a horse.
- (n.) The measure round the body, as at the waist or belly; the circumference of anything.
- (n.) A small horizontal brace or girder.
- (v. t.) To bind as with a girth.
Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Definitions for: RIGHT
- (a.) Straight; direct; not crooked; as, a right line.
- (a.) Upright; erect from a base; having an upright axis; not oblique; as, right ascension; a right pyramid or cone.
- (a.) Conformed to the constitution of man and the will of God, or to justice and equity; not deviating from the true and just; according with truth and duty; just; true.
- (a.) Fit; suitable; proper; correct; becoming; as, the right man in the right place; the right way from London to Oxford.
- (a.) Characterized by reality or genuineness; real; actual; not spurious.
- (a.) According with truth; passing a true judgment; conforming to fact or intent; not mistaken or wrong; not erroneous; correct; as, this is the right faith.
- (a.) Most favorable or convenient; fortunate.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to that side of the body in man on which the muscular action is usually stronger than on the other side; -- opposed to left when used in reference to a part of the body; as, the right side, hand, arm. Also applied to the corresponding side of the lower animals.
- (a.) Well placed, disposed, or adjusted; orderly; well regulated; correctly done.
- (a.) Designed to be placed or worn outward; as, the right side of a piece of cloth.
- (a.) That which is right or correct.
- (a.) The straight course; adherence to duty; obedience to lawful authority, divine or human; freedom from guilt, -- the opposite of moral wrong.
- (a.) A true statement; freedom from error of falsehood; adherence to truth or fact.
- (a.) A just judgment or action; that which is true or proper; justice; uprightness; integrity.
- (a.) That to which one has a just claim.
- (a.) That which one has a natural claim to exact.
- (a.) That which one has a legal or social claim to do or to exact; legal power; authority; as, a sheriff has a right to arrest a criminal.
- (a.) That which justly belongs to one; that which one has a claim to possess or own; the interest or share which anyone has in a piece of property; title; claim; interest; ownership.
- (a.) Privilege or immunity granted by authority.
- (a.) The right side; the side opposite to the left.
- (a.) In some legislative bodies of Europe (as in France), those members collectively who are conservatives or monarchists. See Center, 5.
- (a.) The outward or most finished surface, as of a piece of cloth, a carpet, etc.
- (a.) To bring or restore to the proper or natural position; to set upright; to make right or straight (that which has been wrong or crooked); to correct.
- (a.) To do justice to; to relieve from wrong; to restore rights to; to assert or regain the rights of; as, to right the oppressed; to right one's self; also, to vindicate.
- (adv.) In a right manner.
- (adv.) In a right or straight line; directly; hence; straightway; immediately; next; as, he stood right before me; it went right to the mark; he came right out; he followed right after the guide.
- (adv.) Exactly; just.
- (adv.) According to the law or will of God; conforming to the standard of truth and justice; righteously; as, to live right; to judge right.
- (adv.) According to any rule of art; correctly.
- (adv.) According to fact or truth; actually; truly; really; correctly; exactly; as, to tell a story right.
- (adv.) In a great degree; very; wholly; unqualifiedly; extremely; highly; as, right humble; right noble; right valiant.
- (v. i.) To recover the proper or natural condition or position; to become upright.
- (v. i.) Hence, to regain an upright position, as a ship or boat, after careening.
- (n.) Peace; security; agreement.