- (n.) A larva.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A vessel for washing; a large basin.
- (n.) A large brazen vessel placed in the court of the Jewish tabernacle where the officiating priests washed their hands and feet.
- (n.) One of several vessels in Solomon's Temple in which the offerings for burnt sacrifices were washed.
- (n.) That which washes or cleanses.
- (n.) One who laves; a washer.
- (n.) The fronds of certain marine algae used as food, and for making a sauce called laver sauce. Green laver is the Ulva latissima; purple laver, Porphyra laciniata and P. vulgaris. It is prepared by stewing, either alone or with other vegetables, and with various condiments; -- called also sloke, or sloakan.
- (v. t.) To separate or undo the texture of; to take apart; to untwist; to unweave or unknit; -- often followed by out; as, to ravel a twist; to ravel out a stocking.
- (v. t.) To undo the intricacies of; to disentangle.
- (v. t.) To pull apart, as the threads of a texture, and let them fall into a tangled mass; hence, to entangle; to make intricate; to involve.
- (v. i.) To become untwisted or unwoven; to be disentangled; to be relieved of intricacy.
- (v. i.) To fall into perplexity and confusion.
- (v. i.) To make investigation or search, as by picking out the threads of a woven pattern.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a velum; esp. (Anat.) of or pertaining to the soft palate.
- (a.) Having the place of articulation on the soft palate; guttural; as, the velar consonants, such as k and hard q.