- (n.) Love; the god of love; -- by earlier writers represented as one of the first and creative gods, by later writers as the son of Aphrodite, equivalent to the Latin god Cupid.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: ROSE
- Imp. of Rise.
- (imp.) of Rise
- (n.) A flower and shrub of any species of the genus Rosa, of which there are many species, mostly found in the morthern hemispere
- (n.) A knot of ribbon formed like a rose; a rose knot; a rosette, esp. one worn on a shoe.
- (n.) A rose window. See Rose window, below.
- (n.) A perforated nozzle, as of a pipe, spout, etc., for delivering water in fine jets; a rosehead; also, a strainer at the foot of a pump.
- (n.) The erysipelas.
- (n.) The card of the mariner's compass; also, a circular card with radiating lines, used in other instruments.
- (n.) The color of a rose; rose-red; pink.
- (n.) A diamond. See Rose diamond, below.
- (v. t.) To render rose-colored; to redden; to flush.
- (v. t.) To perfume, as with roses.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- A monetary subunit in Denmark and Norway and Sweden; 100 ore equal 1 krona
- A mineral that contains metal that is valuable enough to be mined
- Fish eggs or egg-filled ovary; having a grainy texture
- Large deer
- The eggs or egg-laden ovary of a fish
- The egg mass or spawn of certain crustaceans such as the lobster
- Eggs of female fish
- (n.) A Spanish title of courtesy corresponding to the English Mr. or Sir; also, a gentleman.
- (n.) Reddish brown; sorrel.
- (n.) A young hawk or falcon in the first year.
- (n.) A young buck in the fourth year. See the Note under Buck.
- (superl.) Tender to the touch; susceptible of pain from pressure; inflamed; painful; -- said of the body or its parts; as, a sore hand.
- (superl.) Fig.: Sensitive; tender; easily pained, grieved, or vexed; very susceptible of irritation.
- (superl.) Severe; afflictive; distressing; as, a sore disease; sore evil or calamity.
- (superl.) Criminal; wrong; evil.
- (a.) A place in an animal body where the skin and flesh are ruptured or bruised, so as to be tender or painful; a painful or diseased place, such as an ulcer or a boil.
- (a.) Fig.: Grief; affliction; trouble; difficulty.
- (a.) In a sore manner; with pain; grievously.
- (a.) Greatly; violently; deeply.