- (n.) Alt. of Burr
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: RUB
- (n.) The act of rubbing; friction.
- (n.) That which rubs; that which tends to hinder or obstruct motion or progress; hindrance; obstruction, an impediment; especially, a difficulty or obstruction hard to overcome; a pinch.
- (n.) Inequality of surface, as of the ground in the game of bowls; unevenness.
- (n.) Something grating to the feelings; sarcasm; joke; as, a hard rub.
- (n.) Imperfection; failing; fault.
- (n.) A chance.
- (n.) A stone, commonly flat, used to sharpen cutting tools; a whetstone; -- called also rubstone.
- (v. i.) To move along the surface of a body with pressure; to grate; as, a wheel rubs against the gatepost.
- (v. i.) To fret; to chafe; as, to rub upon a sore.
- (v. i.) To move or pass with difficulty; as, to rub through woods, as huntsmen; to rub through the world.
- (v. t.) To subject (a body) to the action of something moving over its surface with pressure and friction, especially to the action of something moving back and forth; as, to rub the flesh with the hand; to rub wood with sandpaper.
- (v. t.) To move over the surface of (a body) with pressure and friction; to graze; to chafe; as, the boat rubs the ground.
- (v. t.) To cause (a body) to move with pressure and friction along a surface; as, to rub the hand over the body.
- (v. t.) To spread a substance thinly over; to smear.
- (v. t.) To scour; to burnish; to polish; to brighten; to cleanse; -- often with up or over; as, to rub up silver.
- (v. t.) To hinder; to cross; to thwart.