Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: RUBRIC
- (a.) Alt. of Rubrical
- (n.) That part of any work in the early manuscripts and typography which was colored red, to distinguish it from other portions.
- (n.) A titlepage, or part of it, especially that giving the date and place of printing; also, the initial letters, etc., when printed in red.
- (n.) The title of a statute; -- so called as being anciently written in red letters.
- (n.) The directions and rules for the conduct of service, formerly written or printed in red; hence, also, an ecclesiastical or episcopal injunction; -- usually in the plural.
- (n.) Hence, that which is established or settled, as by authority; a thing definitely settled or fixed.
- (v. t.) To adorn ith red; to redden; to rubricate.