- (v.) That which produces or effects a result; that from which anything proceeds, and without which it would not exist.
- (v.) That which is the occasion of an action or state; ground; reason; motive; as, cause for rejoicing.
- (v.) Sake; interest; advantage.
- (v.) A suit or action in court; any legal process by which a party endeavors to obtain his claim, or what he regards as his right; case; ground of action.
- (v.) Any subject of discussion or debate; matter; question; affair in general.
- (v.) The side of a question, which is espoused, advocated, and upheld by a person or party; a principle which is advocated; that which a person or party seeks to attain.
- (n.) To effect as an agent; to produce; to be the occasion of; to bring about; to bring into existence; to make; -- usually followed by an infinitive, sometimes by that with a finite verb.
- (v. i.) To assign or show cause; to give a reason; to make excuse.
- (conj.) Abbreviation of Because.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: SAUCE
- (n.) A composition of condiments and appetizing ingredients eaten with food as a relish; especially, a dressing for meat or fish or for puddings; as, mint sauce; sweet sauce, etc.
- (n.) Any garden vegetables eaten with meat.
- (n.) Stewed or preserved fruit eaten with other food as a relish; as, apple sauce, cranberry sauce, etc.
- (n.) Sauciness; impertinence.
- (n.) A soft crayon for use in stump drawing or in shading with the stump.
- (v. t.) To accompany with something intended to give a higher relish; to supply with appetizing condiments; to season; to flavor.
- (v. t.) To cause to relish anything, as if with a sauce; to tickle or gratify, as the palate; to please; to stimulate; hence, to cover, mingle, or dress, as if with sauce; to make an application to.
- (v. t.) To make poignant; to give zest, flavor or interest to; to set off; to vary and render attractive.
- (v. t.) To treat with bitter, pert, or tart language; to be impudent or saucy to.