- A general name for beer made with a top fermenting yeast; in some of the United States an ale is (by law) a brew of more than 4% alcohol by volume
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: SEAL
- (n.) Any aquatic carnivorous mammal of the families Phocidae and Otariidae.
- (n.) An engraved or inscribed stamp, used for marking an impression in wax or other soft substance, to be attached to a document, or otherwise used by way of authentication or security.
- (n.) Wax, wafer, or other tenacious substance, set to an instrument, and impressed or stamped with a seal; as, to give a deed under hand and seal.
- (n.) That which seals or fastens; esp., the wax or wafer placed on a letter or other closed paper, etc., to fasten it.
- (n.) That which confirms, ratifies, or makes stable; that which authenticates; that which secures; assurance.
- (n.) An arrangement for preventing the entrance or return of gas or air into a pipe, by which the open end of the pipe dips beneath the surface of water or other liquid, or a deep bend or sag in the pipe is filled with the liquid; a draintrap.
- (v. i.) To affix one's seal, or a seal.
- (v. t.) To set or affix a seal to; hence, to authenticate; to confirm; to ratify; to establish; as, to seal a deed.
- (v. t.) To mark with a stamp, as an evidence of standard exactness, legal size, or merchantable quality; as, to seal weights and measures; to seal silverware.
- (v. t.) To fasten with a seal; to attach together with a wafer, wax, or other substance causing adhesion; as, to seal a letter.
- (v. t.) Hence, to shut close; to keep close; to make fast; to keep secure or secret.
- (v. t.) To fix, as a piece of iron in a wall, with cement, plaster, or the like.
- (v. t.) To close by means of a seal; as, to seal a drainpipe with water. See 2d Seal, 5.
- (v. t.) Among the Mormons, to confirm or set apart as a second or additional wife.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- A Born free lioness
- To give off a beam of coherent light; -- of a laser.
- A field covered with grass or herbage and suitable for grazing by livestock
- A unit of length of thread or yarn
- (n.) See 1st Sallow.
- (v. t.) The act of selling; the transfer of property, or a contract to transfer the ownership of property, from one person to another for a valuable consideration, or for a price in money.
- (v. t.) Opportunity of selling; demand; market.
- (v. t.) Public disposal to the highest bidder, or exposure of goods in market; auction.