- A city in western Germany; industrial center of the Ruhr
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) A faculty, possessed by animals, of perceiving external objects by means of impressions made upon certain organs (sensory or sense organs) of the body, or of perceiving changes in the condition of the body; as, the senses of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. See Muscular sense, under Muscular, and Temperature sense, under Temperature.
- (v. t.) Perception by the sensory organs of the body; sensation; sensibility; feeling.
- (v. t.) Perception through the intellect; apprehension; recognition; understanding; discernment; appreciation.
- (v. t.) Sound perception and reasoning; correct judgment; good mental capacity; understanding; also, that which is sound, true, or reasonable; rational meaning.
- (v. t.) That which is felt or is held as a sentiment, view, or opinion; judgment; notion; opinion.
- (v. t.) Meaning; import; signification; as, the true sense of words or phrases; the sense of a remark.
- (v. t.) Moral perception or appreciation.
- (v. t.) One of two opposite directions in which a line, surface, or volume, may be supposed to be described by the motion of a point, line, or surface.
- (v. t.) To perceive by the senses; to recognize.