Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: SHY
- (a.) To start suddenly aside through fright or suspicion; -- said especially of horses.
- (n.) A sudden start aside, as by a horse.
- (n.) A side throw; a throw; a fling.
- (superl.) Easily frightened; timid; as, a shy bird.
- (superl.) Reserved; coy; disinclined to familiar approach.
- (superl.) Cautious; wary; suspicious.
- (v. t.) To throw sidewise with a jerk; to fling; as, to shy a stone; to shy a slipper.