- (n.) See Dais.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: SIDE
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a side, or the sides; being on the side, or toward the side; lateral.
- (a.) Hence, indirect; oblique; collateral; incidental; as, a side issue; a side view or remark.
- (n.) The margin, edge, verge, or border of a surface; especially (when the thing spoken of is somewhat oblong in shape), one of the longer edges as distinguished from the shorter edges, called ends; a bounding line of a geometrical figure; as, the side of a field, of a square or triangle, of a river, of a road, etc.
- (n.) Any outer portion of a thing considered apart from, and yet in relation to, the rest; as, the upper side of a sphere; also, any part or position viewed as opposite to or contrasted with another; as, this or that side.
- (n.) One of the halves of the body, of an animals or man, on either side of the mesial plane; or that which pertains to such a half; as, a side of beef; a side of sole leather.
- (n.) The right or left part of the wall or trunk of the body; as, a pain in the side.
- (n.) A slope or declivity, as of a hill, considered as opposed to another slope over the ridge.
- (n.) The position of a person or party regarded as opposed to another person or party, whether as a rival or a foe; a body of advocates or partisans; a party; hence, the interest or cause which one maintains against another; a doctrine or view opposed to another.
- (n.) A line of descent traced through one parent as distinguished from that traced through another.
- (n.) Fig.: Aspect or part regarded as contrasted with some other; as, the bright side of poverty.
- (n.) Long; large; extensive.
- (v. i.) To lean on one side.
- (v. i.) To embrace the opinions of one party, or engage in its interest, in opposition to another party; to take sides; as, to side with the ministerial party.
- (v. t.) To be or stand at the side of; to be on the side toward.
- (v. t.) To suit; to pair; to match.
- (v. t.) To work (a timber or rib) to a certain thickness by trimming the sides.
- (v. t.) To furnish with a siding; as, to side a house.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (pl.) of Die
- (n. pl.) The fifteenth day of March, May, July, and October, and the thirteenth day of the other months.
- (n.) A descendant of Mohammed through his daughter Fatima and nephew Ali.