- (n.) A knife or short dagger, esp. that in use among the Highlanders of Scotland. [Variously spelt.]
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: SNAKE
- (n.) Any species of the order Ophidia; an ophidian; a serpent, whether harmless or venomous. See Ophidia, and Serpent.
- (v. i.) To crawl like a snake.
- (v. t.) To drag or draw, as a snake from a hole; -- often with out.
- (v. t.) To wind round spirally, as a large rope with a smaller, or with cord, the small rope lying in the spaces between the strands of the large one; to worm.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. i.) To creep or steal (away or about) privately; to come or go meanly, as a person afraid or ashamed to be seen; as, to sneak away from company.
- (imp. & p. p.) To act in a stealthy and cowardly manner; to behave with meanness and servility; to crouch.
- (v. t.) To hide, esp. in a mean or cowardly manner.
- (n.) A mean, sneaking fellow.
- (n.) A ball bowled so as to roll along the ground; -- called also grub.