- United States capitalist (born in Germany) who made a fortune in fur trading (1763-1848)
- British politician (born in the United States) who was the first woman to sit in the British House of Commons (1879-1964)
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: SORTA
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- (v. t.) To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.; as, to roast a potato in ashes.
- (v. t.) To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast coffee; to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
- (v. t.) Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
- (v. t.) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- (v. t.) To banter severely.
- (v. i.) To cook meat, fish, etc., by heat, as before the fire or in an oven.
- (v. i.) To undergo the process of being roasted.
- (n.) That which is roasted; a piece of meat which has been roasted, or is suitable for being roasted.
- (a.) Roasted; as, roast beef.
- Duty lists
- Tropical starchy tuberous root
- Herb of the Pacific islands grown throughout the tropics for its edible root and in temperate areas as an ornamental for its large glossy leaves
- Edible starchy tuberous root of taro plants