Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: SPECIES
- (n.) Visible or sensible presentation; appearance; a sensible percept received by the imagination; an image.
- (n.) A group of individuals agreeing in common attributes, and designated by a common name; a conception subordinated to another conception, called a genus, or generic conception, from which it differs in containing or comprehending more attributes, and extending to fewer individuals. Thus, man is a species, under animal as a genus; and man, in its turn, may be regarded as a genus with respect to European, American, or the like, as species.
- (n.) In science, a more or less permanent group of existing things or beings, associated according to attributes, or properties determined by scientific observation.
- (n.) A sort; a kind; a variety; as, a species of low cunning; a species of generosity; a species of cloth.
- (n.) Coin, or coined silver, gold, ot other metal, used as a circulating medium; specie.
- (n.) A public spectacle or exhibition.
- (n.) A component part of compound medicine; a simple.
- (n.) An officinal mixture or compound powder of any kind; esp., one used for making an aromatic tea or tisane; a tea mixture.
- (n.) The form or shape given to materials; fashion or shape; form; figure.