- (n. pl.) An instrument, usually resembling a pair of dividers or compasses with curved legs, for measuring the diameter or thickness of bodies, as of work shaped in a lathe or planer, timber, masts, shot, etc.; or the bore of firearms, tubes, etc.; -- called also caliper compasses, or caliber compasses.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: SPIRACLE
- (n.) The nostril, or one of the nostrils, of whales, porpoises, and allied animals.
- (n.) One of the external openings communicating with the air tubes or tracheae of insects, myriapods, and arachnids. They are variable in number, and are usually situated on the sides of the thorax and abdomen, a pair to a segment. These openings are usually elliptical, and capable of being closed. See Illust. under Coleoptera.
- (n.) A tubular orifice communicating with the gill cavity of certain ganoid and all elasmobranch fishes. It is the modified first gill cleft.
- (n.) Any small aperture or vent for air or other fluid.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Copy that is not the original; something that has been copied