- (n.) The part of a mortar extending from the chamber to the trunnions.
- (n.) Hail or snow, mingled with rain, usually falling, or driven by the wind, in fine particles.
- (v. i.) To snow or hail with a mixture of rain.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: STEEL
- (n.) A variety of iron intermediate in composition and properties between wrought iron and cast iron (containing between one half of one per cent and one and a half per cent of carbon), and consisting of an alloy of iron with an iron carbide. Steel, unlike wrought iron, can be tempered, and retains magnetism. Its malleability decreases, and fusibility increases, with an increase in carbon.
- (n.) An instrument or implement made of steel
- (n.) A weapon, as a sword, dagger, etc.
- (n.) An instrument of steel (usually a round rod) for sharpening knives.
- (n.) A piece of steel for striking sparks from flint.
- (n.) Fig.: Anything of extreme hardness; that which is characterized by sternness or rigor.
- (n.) A chalybeate medicine.
- (n.) To overlay, point, or edge with steel; as, to steel a razor; to steel an ax.
- (n.) To make hard or strong; hence, to make insensible or obdurate.
- (n.) Fig.: To cause to resemble steel, as in smoothness, polish, or other qualities.
- (n.) To cover, as an electrotype plate, with a thin layer of iron by electrolysis. The iron thus deposited is very hard, like steel.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) Same as Stela.
- (n.) A stale, or handle; a stalk.