- (n.) A key or thing touched to produce a tone.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: STOAT
- (n.) The ermine in its summer pelage, when it is reddish brown, but with a black tip to the tail. The name is sometimes applied also to other brown weasels.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To dry and brown by the heat of a fire; as, to toast bread.
- (v. t.) To warm thoroughly; as, to toast the feet.
- (v. t.) To name when a health is proposed to be drunk; to drink to the health, or in honor, of; as, to toast a lady.
- (v.) Bread dried and browned before a fire, usually in slices; also, a kind of food prepared by putting slices of toasted bread into milk, gravy, etc.
- (v.) A lady in honor of whom persons or a company are invited to drink; -- so called because toasts were formerly put into the liquor, as a great delicacy.
- (v.) Hence, any person, especially a person of distinction, in honor of whom a health is drunk; hence, also, anything so commemorated; a sentiment, as "The land we live in," "The day we celebrate," etc.