- How a result is obtained or an end is achieved; "a means of control"; "an example is the best agency of instruction"; "the true way to success"
- A journey or passage; "they are on the way"
- A course of conduct; "the path of virtue"; "we went our separate ways"; "our paths in life led us apart"; "genius usually follows a revolutionary path"
- Any artifact consisting of a road or path affording passage from one place to another; "he said he was looking for the way out"
- How something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion"
- The property of distance in general; "it's a long way to Moscow"; "he went a long ways"
- Doing as one pleases or chooses; "if I had my way"
- A general category of things; used in the expression `in the way of'; "they didn't have much in the way
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: SWAY
- (n.) The act of swaying; a swaying motion; the swing or sweep of a weapon.
- (n.) Influence, weight, or authority that inclines to one side; as, the sway of desires.
- (n.) Preponderance; turn or cast of balance.
- (n.) Rule; dominion; control.
- (n.) A switch or rod used by thatchers to bind their work.
- (v. i.) To move or wield with the hand; to swing; to wield; as, to sway the scepter.
- (v. i.) To influence or direct by power and authority; by persuasion, or by moral force; to rule; to govern; to guide.
- (v. i.) To cause to incline or swing to one side, or backward and forward; to bias; to turn; to bend; warp; as, reeds swayed by wind; judgment swayed by passion.
- (v. i.) To hoist; as, to sway up the yards.
- (v. i.) To be drawn to one side by weight or influence; to lean; to incline.
- (v. i.) To move or swing from side to side; or backward and forward.
- (v. i.) To have weight or influence.
- (v. i.) To bear sway; to rule; to govern.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A disease, occurring in the Antilles and in Africa, characterized by yellowish or reddish tumors, of a contagious character, which, in shape and appearance, often resemble currants, strawberries, or raspberries. There are several varieties of this disease, variously known as framboesia, pian, verrugas, and crab-yaws.