- Move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner; "the wheels skidded against the sidewalk"
- Turn sharply; change direction abruptly; "The car cut to the left at the intersection"; "The motorbike veered to the right"
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: SWINGLE
- (n.) A wooden instrument like a large knife, about two feet long, with one thin edge, used for beating and cleaning flax; a scutcher; -- called also swingling knife, swingling staff, and swingling wand.
- (v. i.) To dangle; to wave hanging.
- (v. i.) To swing for pleasure.
- (v. t.) To clean, as flax, by beating it with a swingle, so as to separate the coarse parts and the woody substance from it; to scutch.
- (v. t.) To beat off the tops of without pulling up the roots; -- said of weeds.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The swinging part of a flail which falls on the grain in thrashing; the swiple.