- (v.) Coming after the time when due, or after the usual or proper time; not early; slow; tardy; long delayed; as, a late spring.
- (v.) Far advanced toward the end or close; as, a late hour of the day; a late period of life.
- (v.) Existing or holding some position not long ago, but not now; lately deceased, departed, or gone out of office; as, the late bishop of London; the late administration.
- (v.) Not long past; happening not long ago; recent; as, the late rains; we have received late intelligence.
- (v.) Continuing or doing until an advanced hour of the night; as, late revels; a late watcher.
- (a.) After the usual or proper time, or the time appointed; after delay; as, he arrived late; -- opposed to early.
- (a.) Not long ago; lately.
- (a.) Far in the night, day, week, or other particular period; as, to lie abed late; to sit up late at night.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: TALE
- (n.) See Tael.
- (v. i.) That which is told; an oral relation or recital; any rehearsal of what has occured; narrative; discourse; statement; history; story.
- (v. i.) A number told or counted off; a reckoning by count; an enumeration; a count, in distinction from measure or weight; a number reckoned or stated.
- (v. i.) A count or declaration.
- (v. i.) To tell stories.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) An artificial water trench, esp. one to or from a mill.
- (n.) A denomination of money, in China, worth nearly six shillings sterling, or about a dollar and forty cents; also, a weight of one ounce and a third.
- (n.) Any one of several species of small fresh-water ducks of the genus Anas and the subgenera Querquedula and Nettion. The male is handsomely colored, and has a bright green or blue speculum on the wings.