- (n.) The circumstances or condition of a being or thing at any given time.
- (n.) Rank; condition; quality; as, the state of honor.
- (n.) Condition of prosperity or grandeur; wealthy or prosperous circumstances; social importance.
- (n.) Appearance of grandeur or dignity; pomp.
- (n.) A chair with a canopy above it, often standing on a dais; a seat of dignity; also, the canopy itself.
- (n.) Estate, possession.
- (n.) A person of high rank.
- (n.) Any body of men united by profession, or constituting a community of a particular character; as, the civil and ecclesiastical states, or the lords spiritual and temporal and the commons, in Great Britain. Cf. Estate, n., 6.
- (n.) The principal persons in a government.
- (n.) The bodies that constitute the legislature of a country; as, the States-general of Holland.
- (n.) A form of government which is not monarchial, as a republic.
- (n.) A political body, or body politic; the whole body of people who are united one government, whatever may be the form of the government; a nation.
- (n.) In the United States, one of the commonwealth, or bodies politic, the people of which make up the body of the nation, and which, under the national constitution, stands in certain specified relations with the national government, and are invested, as commonwealth, with full power in their several spheres over all matters not expressly inhibited.
- (n.) Highest and stationary condition, as that of maturity between growth and decline, or as that of crisis between the increase and the abating of a disease; height; acme.
- (a.) Stately.
- (a.) Belonging to the state, or body politic; public.
- (v. t.) To set; to settle; to establish.
- (v. t.) To express the particulars of; to set down in detail or in gross; to represent fully in words; to narrate; to recite; as, to state the facts of a case, one's opinion, etc.
- (n.) A statement; also, a document containing a statement.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: TEATS
- The small projection of a mammary gland
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To try by the touch; to handle; as, to taste a bow.
- (v. t.) To try by the touch of the tongue; to perceive the relish or flavor of (anything) by taking a small quantity into a mouth. Also used figuratively.
- (v. t.) To try by eating a little; to eat a small quantity of.
- (v. t.) To become acquainted with by actual trial; to essay; to experience; to undergo.
- (v. t.) To partake of; to participate in; -- usually with an implied sense of relish or pleasure.
- (v. i.) To try food with the mouth; to eat or drink a little only; to try the flavor of anything; as, to taste of each kind of wine.
- (v. i.) To have a smack; to excite a particular sensation, by which the specific quality or flavor is distinguished; to have a particular quality or character; as, this water tastes brackish; the milk tastes of garlic.
- (v. i.) To take sparingly.
- (v. i.) To have perception, experience, or enjoyment; to partake; as, to taste of nature's bounty.
- (n.) The act of tasting; gustation.
- (n.) A particular sensation excited by the application of a substance to the tongue; the quality or savor of any substance as perceived by means of the tongue; flavor; as, the taste of an orange or an apple; a bitter taste; an acid taste; a sweet taste.
- (n.) The one of the five senses by which certain properties of bodies (called their taste, savor, flavor) are ascertained by contact with the organs of taste.
- (n.) Intellectual relish; liking; fondness; -- formerly with of, now with for; as, he had no taste for study.
- (n.) The power of perceiving and relishing excellence in human performances; the faculty of discerning beauty, order, congruity, proportion, symmetry, or whatever constitutes excellence, particularly in the fine arts and belles-letters; critical judgment; discernment.
- (n.) Manner, with respect to what is pleasing, refined, or in accordance with good usage; style; as, music composed in good taste; an epitaph in bad taste.
- (n.) Essay; trial; experience; experiment.
- (n.) A small portion given as a specimen; a little piece tastted of eaten; a bit.
- (n.) A kind of narrow and thin silk ribbon.
- (n.) The external hard or firm covering of many invertebrate animals.
- (n.) The outer integument of a seed; the episperm, or spermoderm.