Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: TELLTALE
- (a.) Telling tales; babbling.
- (n.) One who officiously communicates information of the private concerns of others; one who tells that which prudence should suppress.
- (n.) A movable piece of ivory, lead, or other material, connected with the bellows of an organ, that gives notice, by its position, when the wind is exhausted.
- (n.) A mechanical attachment to the steering wheel, which, in the absence of a tiller, shows the position of the helm.
- (n.) A compass in the cabin of a vessel, usually placed where the captain can see it at all hours, and thus inform himself of the vessel's course.
- (n.) A machine or contrivance for indicating or recording something, particularly for keeping a check upon employees, as factory hands, watchmen, drivers, check takers, and the like, by revealing to their employers what they have done or omitted.
- (n.) The tattler. See Tattler.