Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: TERM
- (n.) That which limits the extent of anything; limit; extremity; bound; boundary.
- (n.) The time for which anything lasts; any limited time; as, a term of five years; the term of life.
- (n.) In universities, schools, etc., a definite continuous period during which instruction is regularly given to students; as, the school year is divided into three terms.
- (n.) A point, line, or superficies, that limits; as, a line is the term of a superficies, and a superficies is the term of a solid.
- (n.) A fixed period of time; a prescribed duration
- (n.) The limitation of an estate; or rather, the whole time for which an estate is granted, as for the term of a life or lives, or for a term of years.
- (n.) A space of time granted to a debtor for discharging his obligation.
- (n.) The time in which a court is held or is open for the trial of causes.
- (n.) The subject or the predicate of a proposition; one of the three component parts of a syllogism, each one of which is used twice.
- (n.) A word or expression; specifically, one that has a precisely limited meaning in certain relations and uses, or is peculiar to a science, art, profession, or the like; as, a technical term.
- (n.) A quadrangular pillar, adorned on the top with the figure of a head, as of a man, woman, or satyr; -- called also terminal figure. See Terminus, n., 2 and 3.
- (n.) A member of a compound quantity; as, a or b in a + b; ab or cd in ab - cd.
- (n.) The menses.
- (n.) Propositions or promises, as in contracts, which, when assented to or accepted by another, settle the contract and bind the parties; conditions.
- (n.) In Scotland, the time fixed for the payment of rents.
- (n.) A piece of carved work placed under each end of the taffrail.
- (n.) To apply a term to; to name; to call; to denominate.