- (v. t.) To stand against; to withstand; to obstruct.
- (v. t.) To strive against; to endeavor to counteract, defeat, or frustrate; to act in opposition to; to oppose.
- (v. t.) To counteract, as a force, by inertia or reaction.
- (v. t.) To be distasteful to.
- (v. i.) To make opposition.
- (n.) A substance used to prevent a color or mordant from fixing on those parts to which it has been applied, either by acting machanically in preventing the color, etc., from reaching the cloth, or chemically in changing the color so as to render it incapable of fixing itself in the fibers.. The pastes prepared for this purpose are called resist pastes.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- To take exams again
- (n.) A female who has the same parents with another person, or who has one of them only. In the latter case, she is more definitely called a half sister. The correlative of brother.
- (n.) A woman who is closely allied to, or assocciated with, another person, as in the sdame faith, society, order, or community.
- (n.) One of the same kind, or of the same condition; -- generally used adjectively; as, sister fruits.
- (v. t.) To be sister to; to resemble closely.