- Select as an alternative over another; "I always choose the fish over the meat courses in this restaurant"; "She opted for the job on the East coast"
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: TOP
- (n.) A child's toy, commonly in the form of a conoid or pear, made to spin on its point, usually by drawing off a string wound round its surface or stem, the motion being sometimes continued by means of a whip.
- (n.) A plug, or conical block of wood, with longitudital grooves on its surface, in which the strands of the rope slide in the process of twisting.
- (n.) The highest part of anything; the upper end, edge, or extremity; the upper side or surface; summit; apex; vertex; cover; lid; as, the top of a spire; the top of a house; the top of a mountain; the top of the ground.
- (n.) The utmost degree; the acme; the summit.
- (n.) The highest rank; the most honorable position; the utmost attainable place; as, to be at the top of one's class, or at the top of the school.
- (n.) The chief person; the most prominent one.
- (n.) The crown of the head, or the hair upon it; the head.
- (n.) The head, or upper part, of a plant.
- (n.) A platform surrounding the head of the lower mast and projecting on all sudes. It serves to spead the topmast rigging, thus strengheningthe mast, and also furnishes a convenient standing place for the men aloft.
- (n.) A bundle or ball of slivers of comkbed wool, from which the noils, or dust, have been taken out.
- (n.) Eve; verge; point.
- (n.) The part of a cut gem between the girdle, or circumference, and the table, or flat upper surface.
- (n.) Top-boots.
- (v. i.) To rise aloft; to be eminent; to tower; as, lofty ridges and topping mountains.
- (v. i.) To predominate; as, topping passions.
- (v. i.) To excel; to rise above others.
- (v. t.) To cover on the top; to tip; to cap; -- chiefly used in the past participle.
- (v. t.) To rise above; to excel; to outgo; to surpass.
- (v. t.) To rise to the top of; to go over the top of.
- (v. t.) To take off the or upper part of; to crop.
- (v. t.) To perform eminently, or better than before.
- (v. t.) To raise one end of, as a yard, so that that end becomes higher than the other.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A metallic or earthen vessel, appropriated to any of a great variety of uses, as for boiling meat or vegetables, for holding liquids, for plants, etc.; as, a quart pot; a flower pot; a bean pot.
- (n.) An earthen or pewter cup for liquors; a mug.
- (n.) The quantity contained in a pot; a potful; as, a pot of ale.
- (n.) A metal or earthenware extension of a flue above the top of a chimney; a chimney pot.
- (n.) A crucible; as, a graphite pot; a melting pot.
- (n.) A wicker vessel for catching fish, eels, etc.
- (n.) A perforated cask for draining sugar.
- (n.) A size of paper. See Pott.
- (v. t.) To place or inclose in pots
- (v. t.) To preserve seasoned in pots.
- (v. t.) To set out or cover in pots; as, potted plants or bulbs.
- (v. t.) To drain; as, to pot sugar, by taking it from the cooler, and placing it in hogsheads, etc., having perforated heads, through which the molasses drains off.
- (v. t.) To pocket.
- (v. i.) To tipple; to drink.
- A device that transfers power from an engine (as in a tractor or other motor vehicle) to another piece of equipment (as to a pump or jackhammer)