- (n.) To lay down; to place; to put; to let fall or throw down (as sediment); as, a crocodile deposits her eggs in the sand; the waters deposited a rich alluvium.
- (n.) To lay up or away for safe keeping; to put up; to store; as, to deposit goods in a warehouse.
- (n.) To lodge in some one's hands for safe keeping; to commit to the custody of another; to intrust; esp., to place in a bank, as a sum of money subject to order.
- (n.) To lay aside; to rid one's self of.
- (v. t.) That which is deposited, or laid or thrown down; as, a deposit in a flue; especially, matter precipitated from a solution (as the siliceous deposits of hot springs), or that which is mechanically deposited (as the mud, gravel, etc., deposits of a river).
- (v. t.) A natural occurrence of a useful mineral under the conditions to invite exploitation.
- (v. t.) That which is placed anywhere, or in any one's hands, for safe keeping; something intrusted to the care of another; esp., money lodged with a bank or banker, subject to order; anything given as pledge or security.
- (v. t.) A bailment of money or goods to be kept gratuitously for the bailor.
- (v. t.) Money lodged with a party as earnest or security for the performance of a duty assumed by the person depositing.
- (v. t.) A place of deposit; a depository.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: TOPSIDE
- (usually plural) weather deck; the part of a ship's hull that is above the waterline
- Cut of beef - from the outer thigh of a butchered cow.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Having or revealing stupidity; "ridiculous anserine behavior"; "a dopey answer"; "a dopey kid"; "some fool idea about rewriting authors' books"
- (imp. & p. p.) of Posit