Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: VERDI
- Italian operatic composer (1813-1901)
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) One who, or that which, dives.
- (n.) Fig.: One who goes deeply into a subject, study, or business.
- (n.) Any bird of certain genera, as Urinator (formerly Colymbus), or the allied genus Colymbus, or Podiceps, remarkable for their agility in diving.
- (v. t.) To impel or urge onward by force in a direction away from one, or along before one; to push forward; to compel to move on; to communicate motion to; as, to drive cattle; to drive a nail; smoke drives persons from a room.
- (v. t.) To urge on and direct the motions of, as the beasts which draw a vehicle, or the vehicle borne by them; hence, also, to take in a carriage; to convey in a vehicle drawn by beasts; as, to drive a pair of horses or a stage; to drive a person to his own door.
- (v. t.) To urge, impel, or hurry forward; to force; to constrain; to urge, press, or bring to a point or state; as, to drive a person by necessity, by persuasion, by force of circumstances, by argument, and the like.
- (v. t.) To carry or; to keep in motion; to conduct; to prosecute.
- (v. t.) To clear, by forcing away what is contained.
- (v. t.) To dig Horizontally; to cut a horizontal gallery or tunnel.
- (v. t.) To pass away; -- said of time.
- (v. i.) To rush and press with violence; to move furiously.
- (v. i.) To be forced along; to be impelled; to be moved by any physical force or agent; to be driven.
- (v. i.) To go by carriage; to pass in a carriage; to proceed by directing or urging on a vehicle or the animals that draw it; as, the coachman drove to my door.
- (v. i.) To press forward; to aim, or tend, to a point; to make an effort; to strive; -- usually with at.
- (v. i.) To distrain for rent.
- (p. p.) Driven.
- (n.) The act of driving; a trip or an excursion in a carriage, as for exercise or pleasure; -- distinguished from a ride taken on horseback.
- (n.) A place suitable or agreeable for driving; a road prepared for driving.
- (n.) Violent or rapid motion; a rushing onward or away; esp., a forced or hurried dispatch of business.
- (n.) In type founding and forging, an impression or matrix, formed by a punch drift.
- (n.) A collection of objects that are driven; a mass of logs to be floated down a river.
- (imp.) of Rive
- (p. p.) of Rive