- (n.) A friend.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: YAM
- (n.) A large, esculent, farinaceous tuber of various climbing plants of the genus Dioscorea; also, the plants themselves. Mostly natives of warm climates. The plants have netted-veined, petioled leaves, and pods with three broad wings. The commonest species is D. sativa, but several others are cultivated.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v.) An auxiliary verb qualifyng the meaning of another verb, by expressing: (a) Ability, competency, or possibility; -- now oftener expressed by can.
- (n.) A maiden.
- (n.) The fifth month of the year, containing thirty-one days.
- (n.) The early part or springtime of life.
- (n.) The flowers of the hawthorn; -- so called from their time of blossoming; also, the hawthorn.
- (n.) The merrymaking of May Day.
- (n.) A genus of bivalve mollusks, including the common long, or soft-shelled, clam.