- (a.) Having awns; bearded.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: YAWN
- (n.) An involuntary act, excited by drowsiness, etc., consisting of a deep and long inspiration following several successive attempts at inspiration, the mouth, fauces, etc., being wide open.
- (n.) The act of opening wide, or of gaping.
- (n.) A chasm, mouth, or passageway.
- (v. i.) To open the mouth involuntarily through drowsiness, dullness, or fatigue; to gape; to oscitate.
- (v. i.) To open wide; to gape, as if to allow the entrance or exit of anything.
- (v. i.) To open the mouth, or to gape, through surprise or bewilderment.
- (v. i.) To be eager; to desire to swallow anything; to express desire by yawning; as, to yawn for fat livings.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. i.) To wane.
- (a.) Waning or diminished in some parts; not of uniform size throughout; -- said especially of sawed boards or timber when tapering or uneven, from being cut too near the outside of the log.
- (a.) Spoiled by wet; -- said of timber.