- (n.) A plant. See Plant.
- (n.) A plant used or cultivated for food for man or domestic animals, as the cabbage, turnip, potato, bean, dandelion, etc.; also, the edible part of such a plant, as prepared for market or the table.
- (v.) Of or pertaining to plants; having the nature of, or produced by, plants; as, a vegetable nature; vegetable growths, juices, etc.
- (v.) Consisting of, or comprising, plants; as, the vegetable kingdom.
- (v.) Plants having distinct flowers and true seeds.
- (v.) Plants without true flowers, and reproduced by minute spores of various kinds, or by simple cell division.