- (n.) In Egyptian art, an image of granite or porphyry, having a human head, or the head of a ram or of a hawk, upon the wingless body of a lion.
- (n.) On Greek art and mythology, a she-monster, usually represented as having the winged body of a lion, and the face and breast of a young woman.
- (n.) Hence: A person of enigmatical character and purposes, especially in politics and diplomacy.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of large moths of the family Sphingidae; -- called also hawk moth.
- (n.) The Guinea, or sphinx, baboon (Cynocephalus sphinx).